Maker Space Programming (12 LEU approved)

valerie colston artprofessor at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 26 15:11:29 EDT 2015

Starting November 2, 2015.  This is a 4 week (12 hours overall) online
workshop.  Access 24/7.  Interactive.  Highly Librarian Recommended.

Library Invoices Accepted or Pay on the Secured Site at
http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspaces.htm

  12 LEU (Indiana) Approved.  All Librarians, Teachers, Volunteers,
and Staff Welcome.

Sign up at http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspaces.htm

Making Maker Spaces Programming

This timely workshop presents how to set up advice, practical idea
suggestions, and resources for creating art, science, career
awareness, and hands on collaboration and learning into your
neighborhood or school library. It has been completed by librarians
from across the US and internationally.  You will network with other
librarians and start your makerspace plan. Take the class as a group
or individual.

The following sampling of recent comments from the September 2015 class:

Maker space programming is a simple way to reinvent your library space
into a fun learning environment for your patrons and community.
Programs that are geared to smaller crowds work well in our indoor
physical space but larger programs and projects work well on our large
lawn. I like knowing that there doesn't have to be a product, but
rather the process of learning is your gift. Thank you!

The most helpful information I gleaned here are the programming ideas
that can be discovered through the lecture links. I know I can be
organized, but coming up with ideas is not so easy. Looking at what
others have done can help my library get this maker program up and
running.

I'm glad to say that I'm feeling very inspired by this class. I'm also
glad to say that my department head is excited, too, so I think, by
January, we'll have something going.

I've gained some new ideas for programs and activities that I hope to
incorporate in our new space. I've also learned more about what safety
equipment we should have on site, and what safety rules and
regulations we should post.
I think there can be a lot of value in Maker Spaces in the School
Library. It will be a little different to implement and manage than in
a public library setting, but still very feasible! I intend to try one
different project per term this school year, starting with the 3D pens
(2nd term), origami (3rd term) and making a chair for the Media Center
out of cardboard boxes (4th term). This class helped me to clarify my
vision so that I could successfully implement a plan.

There is a kind of revolution going on in library programming.
Whether you call them Maker,  Community, or Hacker Spaces, these DIY
working areas in libraries have become a popular meeting and creative
program space for patrons of all ages.
Much more than a make it and take it the Maker Space provides the
tools, instruction, and company of others that inspire and enable
creative making.  The programs are most popular with teens and young
adults but can include all ages.  Lego programming for young children
for example is a popular activity for this age group Maker.

Maker program participant activities range from learning Fine Art
Painting skills to creating Ancient Astronomical Instruments and
everything in between. Co-creaters and subject experts may collaborate
to build robots, a new business, 3-D graphic T-shirts,  or bicycle
sculpture. It's not just primarily physical doing that happens at the
Maker Space.  Teens Maker workshops can include poetry making, writing
workshops, language coding and other intellectual pursuits.
Participants will receive excellent resources that they can begin
using immediately to plan and present a Maker-station and Space
program of their own.

Online Workshop 12 hours Overall
Unit 1-This week we will explore the definition of MakerSpace. We will
look at specific examples in various libraries and begin to learn how
to create one yourself in your own library.
Unit 2-Week 2 we will continue to look at techniques for creating a
maker-station, tools and supplies you will need and how to locate
materials and experts to facilitate programming. Safety issues will
also be addressed.  Designing space.  What skills do participants
learn?
Unit 3-The best of Makerspace Programming ideas. This week we will
look at libraries that have been successful in creating effective
workspace programming in their libraries. What do they know, that will
help you?
Unit 4-Sorting programs using Age, Interest, and Budget as a factor.
Create a MakerSpace program proposal.

Instructor Valerie Colston, M.A. is a university art instructor and
author with many years of experience developing and presenting art
programs at several San Diego and Orange County, California libraries.
She has taught 100 Art Ideas for Teachers at the University of
California, Extension in San Diego, California and a variety of Art
history courses online through colleges and universities. She
currently teaches Tweens, Teens Go Green Projects, Programs, and Maker
Spaces for Librarians at Simmons College.  Her book 200 Projects to
Strengthen Your Art Skills published by Barrons Educational Series has
received outstanding reviews appearing in School Library Journal,
National Art Education Association newsletter, and more. Her "It's
Easy to be a Green Teen" appeared in the youth librarian publication
Voices of Youth Advocates.  She has written Teens Go Green! Tips,
Techniques, Tools and Themes for YA Programming. Libraries Unlimited
Professional guides for Young Adult Librarians Series published in
December 2012. Her artwork was recently  included in a group show
titled HOME at the Orange County Center for Contemporary Art.

This workshop is  Approved for 12 LEU's  (Indiana) and created by Art
Teacher on the Net
For more information Contact-Valerie Colston art259 at hotmail.com

Sign Up Today at http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspaces.htm    This is
a 4 week workshop only $59.00 (USD)  UK, Canadian, Australian and
other currency accepted on the