Open Preservation Foundation releases JHOVE 1.12 beta

Becky McGuinness becky at OPENPRESERVATION.ORG
Thu Oct 22 07:32:00 EDT 2015

A new beta version of JHOVE 1.12 is now available to download:

http://downloads.opf-labs.org/dev/jhove-xplt-installer-dev-latest.jar

JHOVE (JSTOR/Harvard Object Validation Environment) is an extensible
software framework for performing format identification, validation, and
characterisation of digital objects. The Open Preservation Foundation (OPF)
took over stewardship of JHOVE in February 2015 to provide it with a
permanent and sustainable home.

The focus of this release is on stability of the code base, so very little
code has changed. The JHOVE README (
https://github.com/openpreserve/jhove/blob/integration/README.md) provides
an overview of the steps we have taken to put in place automated build,
testing and deployment, and mavenisation of the code base. The main
functional change is that JHOVE now has a dedicated cross-platform
installer.

Installation instructions for Windows, Mac and Linux users are published in
the README (https://github.com/openpreserve/jhove#installation) .

Instructions are available for developers to try including the new Maven
version in their own projects (
https://github.com/openpreserve/jhove#for-developers-jhove-jars-via-maven).
It should continue to work identically to the previous version apart from
one or two small output details (e.g. version number, mentions of OPF).

We welcome feedback on the new release. Please tell us whether the
installer is an improvement on the previous zip distribution package and
what we could do to make installation and configuration of JHOVE easier.
The best method for providing feedback is by using the JHOVE issue tracker (
https://github.com/openpreserve/jhove/issues)  on GitHub. Here is an
example of a recently logged and fixed issue (
https://github.com/openpreserve/jhove/issues/44) .

The JHOVE web page (http://jhove.openpreservation.org/)  has been
restructured to make it easier to navigate. The logo has been refreshed and
work will continue on the look and feel over the coming weeks.

A new mailing list for the discussion of use and development of JHOVE is
being set up and will be available shortly.

This JHOVE beta release and plans for future development have been made
under the guidance of the JHOVE Product Board (
http://www.openpreservation.org/technology/products/jhove/) . OPF members
received a preview of this release to test and provide feedback.

To find out more about becoming an OPF member or software supporter visit:
http://openpreservation.org/about/join/.

--
Becky McGuinness | Community Manager
@openpreserve | Skype: becky.mcguinness1