Campus Guides Policies

Haitz, Lisa (haitzlm) haitzlm at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed Oct 7 15:28:57 EDT 2015

Thanks. I think that this is an excellent point. And frankly, I couldn't, nor do I want to replace subject librarians! However, as i say, we do need some technical guidelines (accessibility, responsive, etc...).

I appreciate your response, it really made me think!
:-)

Lisa
________________________________
From: Web technologies in libraries [WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] on behalf of Hess, M. Ryan [MHESS8 at DEPAUL.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 3:21 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Campus Guides Policies

Hi Lisa,

We too have had guide content standards and best practices in places since LG1. In fact, we learned quite a bit from LG1 which informed out current guidelines for LG2.

You've probably been inundated with guidelines by now, but I would add the following to the conversation:

I think its very common to have different cultures in an organization that view web content differently. It became a chief concern of the LG2 Project to establish an understanding that certain parties should have authority over certain decisions by virtue of their professional focus. For example, Library Instruction should have ultimate say over pedagogy (guidelines for guides), but Digital Services should over Info Architecture/Usability and Tech Services should over organizing the resources. I think we all need to be better at learning to lean on the expertise around us and not think any single person knows it all. Well, anyone except Neil deGrasse Tyson....

To illustrate this, I've noticed that most librarians still don't think in terms of responsive design and so their guides are often designed with full-screen users in mind. Because of this issue, we enshrined the concept of simple, linear narratives within our guide creation guidelines and locked-down templates to keep people from missing this critical usability issue with a responsive site. At the same time, we allowed the subject expert total freedom in terms of how many pages they create and how they label/organize those pages.

M Ryan Hess
Digital Services Coordinator
DePaul University
JTR 303-C, DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, 2350 N Kenmore Ave., Chicago IL 60614