Join us in the Design 4 Learning program!

Diane K. Kovacs diane at KOVACS.COM
Mon May 11 12:57:09 EDT 2015

Devote your time and attention to developing or honing your online
teaching skills!  Join us in the Design 4 Learning program!

We are in the process of recruiting the first group of 60 participants
and would love your participation!   Read on….
Deadline for applying to participate in the first group:  July 15, 2015.
http://goo.gl/forms/uLU4akwrqF
Program Description:
Design for Learning: 21st Century Online Teaching and Learning Skills
for Library Workers is a three-year continuing education project.  It is
developed as a partnership among the South Central Regional Library
Council(http://www.scrlc.org) Syracuse University’s School of
Information Studies(http://ischool.syr.edu;, and the NY 3Rs Association,
Inc. (http://www.ny3rs.org). It is funded as a three-year grant by the
Institute of Museum and Library Services. (IMLS).
All instructional materials, including the modules/units, best
practices, and presentations, will be freely available to the library
community via the project websites and other relevant archival sites.

Goals and Objectives:

The Design for Learning Team will recruit 120 participants and teach
them how to design instruction and teach online, and then practice
teaching online.  The 120 learners will be grouped into 2 cohort groups
of 60 participants; each cohort will be organized into three learning
circles of 20.  We invite participants from all types of libraries,
subject specializations, and library experience levels.  Prospective
learners are current trainers, instructors, or other individuals who
want to provide online training for library staff, library patrons, or
other learner groups within a library context.  A schedule of teaching
and learning for each cohort is below.
Learning Outcomes:
After completing the Design for Learning program, our participants will
be able to:
1. Successfully transfer face-to-face teaching and learning skills and
pedagogy to the online environment.
2. Evaluate and gain experience with various platforms and tools for
online teaching and learning.
3. Design and create online instruction and instructional materials.
4. Practice teaching and learning online.

Participants who complete the program will earn a Certificate of
Completion issued by the New York State NY 3Rs Association, Inc.  Their
learning programs and those offered by the nine member 3Rs Councils can
be used for public library re-certification in New York State, for
performance reviews, resumes, and possibly certification in other
areas.  We are currently investigating additional possibilities.

Who May Participate:

● An MLS (or MLIS or MSLIS) is not required.
● Library teachers, trainers, or instructors, that is, those who have
been teaching (or training or providing instruction) for library staff,
library patrons, and library related communities and wants to develop or
hone their online instructional design and teaching skills.
● Library teachers, trainers, or instructors from all kinds and types of
libraries (public, academic, school, special, museum, tribal, corporate,
online/digital, etc.) in all geographic regions of the United States and
communities ranging from (rural areas and, small towns to major cities
and county library systems.  All subject specializations, are encouraged
to apply.
● Library teachers, trainers, or instructors from diverse cultural
backgrounds, all ethnicities, all genders, all ages, and all levels of
library experience.  We want this initiative to benefit from the
participation of the entire range of diversity in library staff and
their communities!

Requirements for Participation:

1. Willingness and ability to commit to participation when modules are
scheduled and able to respond to emails at other times.  The full
schedule is described in the attached *Teaching and Learning Schedule
June 2015 – December 2016.
2. Strong interest in learning about teaching and learning online.
3. Ability to access the World Wide Web and email well enough to learn
how to participate through the Moodle Learning Management System(LMS),
online meeting tools, and email.
4. Ability to communicate through social media specifically Facebook and
Google + Hangouts, and similar tools.   Training in using these tools
will be provided.
If you have questions about competency requirements don’t count yourself
out – Contact us at dflprojectcoordinator at gmail.com

Application Form:
Short URL: http://goo.gl/forms/uLU4akwrqF
Full URL:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CFjPq4hxZYLhH07P78slMFPQj4ktJa9we8iELJBYnAg/viewform?usp=send_form
For Web Sites – html  embed:
<iframe
src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CFjPq4hxZYLhH07P78slMFPQj4ktJa9we8iELJBYnAg/viewform?embedded=true"
width="760" height="500" frameborder="0" marginheight="0"
marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>

@US_IMLS This project was made possible in part by the Institute of
Museum and Library Services, Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Grant
Project #RE-06-14-0014-14. Este proyecto ha sido posible en parte por el
Instituto de Servicios de Museos y Bibliotecas, Laura Bush 21st Century
Bibliotecario Proyecto Grant # RE-06-14-0014-14.
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of
federal support for the nation’s 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums.
Our mission is to inspire libraries and museums to advance innovation,
lifelong learning, and cultural and civic engagement. Our grant making,
policy development, and research help libraries and museums deliver
valuable services that make it possible for communities and individuals
to thrive. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov and follow IMLS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/USIMLS and Twitter https://twitter.com/us_imls.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-05-11