equal access and email authed user accts

Chris Evjy chris.evjy at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 13:21:30 EDT 2015

Here's an interesting question for your Fridays.

We're a public library system that holds equal access as a core value. Of
course.

The standard method for authenticating and verifying user accounts on the
Web is by using an email address.

Not everyone has an email address. Conflict. We're opening a gap in our
service that we need to address.

   - How do you deal with patrons that don't have an email address when
   certain services require them to have one?
   - Have you dealt with this intentionally?
   - How have you empowered your front-line staff to bridge this gap for
   people?

We're beginning to navigate this conflict with regard to a summer reading
web application we are building and wanted to check in to see if anyone had
any insight into handling this disparity.

Thanks,
Chris

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-03-13