Bad "scholarly article" needed for information literacy classes

Cameron Kainerstorfer Cameron.Kainerstorfer at UTSOUTHWESTERN.EDU
Mon Mar 9 19:40:42 EDT 2015

You may be able to find an article through Jeffrey Beall’s “Scholarly Open Access” site (http://scholarlyoa.com/about/). He maintains a list of potential, possible, or probably predatory open-access publishers there. There is also a category devoted to “Pseudo-science” (http://scholarlyoa.com/category/unethical-practices/pseudo-science-unethical-practices/), which may return some promising example articles.

Regards,

—Cameron
________________________
Cameron Kainerstorfer, MSIS
Digital Collections Manager/Digital Archivist
Health Sciences Digital Library and Learning Center
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75390-9049
214-648-7675
cameron.kainerstorfer @ utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:cameron.kainerstorfer at utsouthwestern.edu>
http://library.utsouthwestern.edu<http://library.utsouthwestern.edu/>

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Stacy Pober
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 4:27 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU<mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU>
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Bad "scholarly article" needed for information literacy classes

I'm looking for an example of a badly written pseudo-scholarly article to use as an example in an info literacy class.

For years, I used a badly written veterinary article that was on the website of a manufacturer of herbal supplements. It claimed to be a report of the results of a double-blind study of their products as used to treat a particular disease but it described a terribly designed study which was not even single-blinded.  It had no bibliography.  It used some of the buzzwords of academia and was co-authored by two veterinarians and the owner of the supplement company. It was a very good example of very awful pseudo-academic writing.

Alas, the company has taken the article down from the web.

Does anyone have some similarly bad articles they can suggest using?  I am not looking for articles that are written just to prove that one can write badly, and I don't want one of those articles written by an automatic paper generating program.. I know there are some of those on the web. I want one that is bad but written by people who sincerely thought they were writing a good research article.

The article I used to use was chosen partly because of the large number of people who linked to it from other websites.  Those other sites were linking to it because they believed it. They were not using it as a bad example.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/