Open Discovery Initiative Conformance Checklists

Ken Varnum varnum at UMICH.EDU
Wed Jun 17 12:50:43 EDT 2015

An important part of the NISO Open Discovery Initiative
<http://www.niso.org/workrooms/odi/> (ODI) is furthering transparency in
library discovery services via completion and publication of voluntary ODI
Conformance Statements. The ODI Standing Committee has released templates
for these checklists (available from
http://www.niso.org/workrooms/odi/conformance) in an effort to encourage
the release of ODI conformance statements by content providers and
discovery service providers. Such statements outline the degree to which a
provider’s services conform to the June 2014 Recommended Practice RP-19-2014
<http://www.niso.org/workrooms/odi/publications/rp/rp-19-2014>.

This is an important first step in providing data in a consistent,
standardized way so that  libraries can better assess content providers’
participation in discovery services.

If you are a publisher, content provider, or discovery provider, we urge
you to work with the ODI Conformance Checklist and publically disclose your
level of conformance.  We look forward to announcements of the first
published ODI conformance statements soon.  For convenience and to promote
the visibility of these conformance statements, ODI will maintain a
directory of published statements at
http://www.niso.org/workrooms/odi/conformance.

For a summary of the Open Discovery Initiative, see
http://www.niso.org/apps/group_public/download.php/15232/NISO%20ODI%20brochure.pdf

--
Ken Varnum | Web Systems Manager | University of Michigan Library
varnum at umich.edu | @varnum | 734-615-3287

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-06-17