Implementing online training sessions for library employees

XML in libraries robyn.maler at VILLE.MONTREAL.QC.CA
Mon Jan 26 13:34:19 EST 2015

Hello,

I am a systems librarian at the Montreal Public Libraries. I have been
reading the questions and answers posted to this listserv for over a year
now and generally find them to be very useful and interesting. I am
writing today in the hopes of hearing from people who have implemented
online trainings for employees at their libraries.

We are a network of 45 public libraries with approximately 900 employees.
We offer two major trainings to new employees: a comprehensive training on
our ILS and a customer service training. We also offer various other,
smaller-scale trainings on specialized modules of our ILS (e.g.
cataloguing) to our technicians and librarians. We are looking at
converting these smaller training sessions into an online format in order
to make them more convenient for employees and to reduce our training
budget. We will also be migrating our ILS (Millennium to Sierra) this year
and would like, wherever possible, to offer online training on the new
ILS.

We are looking for a way to create video tutorials and then test the
participants' knowledge. So far, I have looked at Moodle, an online
courseware tool which offers a lot of great possibilities but may be
overkill for our needs, as well as the possibility of using Camtasia and a
separate survey tool to test the participants' knowledge.

Has anyone implemented online trainings for employees of their library
network? What kinds of trainings did you choose to adapt for distance
learning? What software/tools did you use, and were you satisfied with
them? How did you test employees' knowledge?

Thank you for your replies.

Robyn Maler
Bibliothécaire
Division de la planification et du développement du réseau des
bibliothèques
Direction des Bibliothèques
Service de la culture
Ville de Montréal