CFP Deadline extended - LACUNY Institute on Privacy and Surveillance

Jean Amaral z665.a4 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 21 14:13:03 EST 2015

*Deadline Extended*

*Privacy and Surveillance: Library Advocacy for the 21st Century*

John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York

May 8, 2015

*Submission Deadline: January 23, 2015*

Keynote Speaker: Rainey Reitman (Activism Director, Electronic Frontier
Foundation; Chief Operating Officer and Co-Founder, Freedom of the Press
Foundation)

Historically, librarians have defended patron privacy on the grounds that
it is crucial to free speech, freedom of thought, and equal access to
information. These core values, which occasionally have led librarians to
confrontation with law enforcement, are embedded in our professional
ethics. The American Library Association’s Privacy Toolkit demarcates a
broad territory for the profession to safeguard: “In libraries, the right
to privacy is the right to open inquiry without having the subject of one’s
interest examined or scrutinized by others” (Privacy and Confidentiality:
Library Core Values
<https://owa.lehman.cuny.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=KBkPeX0hc0G2irkDBt4JajPLh0ZGA9IIjB_jzprWKZBwjbhiuP7oe0P8PvjDNFrXWXEXCqqNMgs.&URL=https%3a%2f%2furldefense.proofpoint.com%2fv2%2furl%3fu%3dhttp-3A__www.ala.org_advocacy_privacyconfidentiality_toolkitsprivacy_privacy-2Dand-2Dconfidentiality-2Dlibrary-2Dcore-2Dvalues%26d%3dAAMFaQ%26c%3duxRm7bTqKzXs8e5WpHvdhQ%26r%3dTW-7pwzFIY1Y1A2CbDn4ac-VxDZsyFVsjyMRkj4unyOXaFHUYB2Wkqr1dbDNymlN%26m%3dZ83r0RLiRMdEY6flUaCOYg_l55syswi4VMsxbMKaZj8%26s%3d3VSCl0rEs2T_0nBrYGWFjd9wwqMQRLWOvryJZVhezwc%26e%3d>
).

Nevertheless, patron data can now be scrutinized not just by FBI agents
with secret warrants, but also by database and e-book vendors, social media
companies, and Internet marketers. The digital nature of today’s
information sources has allowed for mass collection of patron data--as
demonstrated by the NSA’s covert collection of telephone and Internet
records. Our profession has been slow to respond. In this new technological
and political landscape, which privacy violations pose a threat to our
mission of promoting free speech and free thought? How can librarians
convince those in power that patron privacy is crucial to our institutions
and our communities? Can we negotiate contracts with vendors that protect
reader privacy? How should we talk to our students about these issues, and
what can we learn from them about the future of privacy?

The LACUNY Institute seeks proposals that explore all aspects of privacy in
libraries, with a special emphasis on academic settings. We welcome
proposals from those inside and outside the profession. This year, we will
feature two kinds of presentations:

*Paper Presentations* (20 minutes)

The Institute will include several moderated panel presentations, which may
be historical, theoretical, legal, or practical in nature. Please include
time for questions and discussion.

A few examples include:

·        Library Code of Ethics and its relevance today

·        Current laws and precedents relating to privacy

·        The information economy and user data

·        Predictive analytics

·        Assessment and student privacy

·        The Dark Web

*Lightning Presentations* (10 minutes)

At the close of the Institute, attendees will disperse to a number of
simultaneous lightning presentations. These should be highly practical in
nature and focused on a single, specific issue. The goal is to provide
attendees with concrete steps for action. Please build in substantial time
for questions and discussion, and plan to bring handouts or other takeaways.

A few examples include:

·          Lesson plans for teaching students about privacy

·          How to read vendor contract*s* and negotiate for privacy rights

·          Privacy-protecting alternatives to common tools and websites
(e.g., ownCloud, DuckDuckGo)

·          Setting up a Tor relay

·          Proven steps for promoting privacy initiatives among faculty and
administrators

Please submit proposals for paper and lightning presentations, including a
300-500 word abstract, to http://lacuny.org/institute-call-for-proposals/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lacuny.org_institute-2Dcall-2Dfor-2Dproposals_&d=AwMFaQ&c=uxRm7bTqKzXs8e5WpHvdhQ&r=TW-7pwzFIY1Y1A2CbDn4ac-VxDZsyFVsjyMRkj4unyOXaFHUYB2Wkqr1dbDNymlN&m=-TFMMDVifFEQc_QAJiu48MuUitsbvUpnLQqPXaEmykM&s=TcVggdgRbw9QEAZrwVFFADTgoyEG_Mh6HSe_38yzdcc&e=>
by *January 23, 2015*.

Questions may be directed to Jennifer.Poggiali at lehman.cuny.edu. For more
information, visit the Institute website:
http://2015lacunyinst.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__2015lacunyinst.commons.gc.cuny.edu_&d=AwMFaQ&c=uxRm7bTqKzXs8e5WpHvdhQ&r=TW-7pwzFIY1Y1A2CbDn4ac-VxDZsyFVsjyMRkj4unyOXaFHUYB2Wkqr1dbDNymlN&m=-TFMMDVifFEQc_QAJiu48MuUitsbvUpnLQqPXaEmykM&s=Tzy3Wf-D4w-oHeqqrIWbsUoGpvNT_jEGc7fOYQ3jWv4&e=>

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-01-21