Join the LITA UX IG Meeting at ALA Midwinter!

Kim, Bohyun bkim at HSHSL.UMARYLAND.EDU
Tue Jan 20 12:43:05 EST 2015

***Apologies for cross-posting***

LITA User Experience IG Meeting at ALA Midwinter

Sunday, February 1, 2015 - 10:30am to 11:30am
McCormick Place West W176b
http://connect.ala.org/node/233748

At the ALA Midwinter Meeting, LITA User Experience IG will have the following three 10-min. presentations and Q&A (5 min) after each presentation at the LITA UX IG meeting. We will also have discussion time for any UX topics on-site. If you have any UX-related topics you would like to discuss, please bring them with you!

Service Design: Towards a Holistic Assessment of the Library
-Joe Marquez, Reed College

I lead our Library Usability Group and our Student Working Group through a Service Design approach to better understand how our services are delivered. We used service design to get a better and more holistic understanding of service delivery within the context of the Reed College Library.  The key to our project was to look at our library as a whole, with the student at the center. By taking a more systems approach to a user's experience, we were (and are) able to get a better grasp of actual experience. It has also provided us with some insight into what student expectations are of service and the physical library.

Year one was focused on learning how the students use the space and the resources. Year two will see us looking at specific spaces on our main floor as well as where to move one of our public service touchpoints.

Connecting library instruction to web usability: Improve user experience
-Yoo Young Lee, IUPUI

I, as a digital user experience librarian, conducted an experiment with one of the instructional librarians at my institution in order to investigate the intersection between user's web behavior and library instruction. We thought that library instruction plays a key role in web usability and affects the ways students behave on the library website, yet very little research has combined these two realms.

During instructional sessions, freshman students were asked to perform a series of information seeking tasks on the library website both prior to, and immediately after, instruction. A usability tool - Verify - recorded individual student use of the website during the completion of each of these tasks. We'd like to share the results we found. The results allowed us to investigate how students behaved on the library website to complete the tasks and how the steps demonstrated by the librarian during instruction strongly influenced how students completed the tasks afterward.

A/B Testing in Library Emails
-Amanda L. Goodman, Darien Library

Email is not dead -- in fact, your library's emails are delivered to your patrons' inboxes more than 90% of the time while Facebook continues to diminish how many of your followers even see your content. The trick then is to get your patrons to open your emails and then interact with the content in a way to drive value for your library.

At Darien Library, we are using A/B testing to discover how to design email newsletters that get opened and acted upon. Our most recent test of changing a subject line generated 10% additional opens. Then by adding a digital service to an email, we increased usage of the service by 151%.

In this short session, Amanda will go over some of the metrics you can test for in your email campaigns. She will be focusing on MailChimp, but other email campaigns also offer insights on how your users interact with your library's emails.

---

Hope to see you there!

Bohyun Kim, LITA UX IG chair bkim at hshsl.umaryland.edu<mailto:bkim at hshsl.umaryland.edu>
Rachel Clark, LITA UX IG vice-chair rachael.clark at wayne.edu<mailto:rachael.clark at wayne.edu>