Graphic Design for Librarians (12 TLEUs) Starts February 16th Enroll Today

Art Teacher artprofessor at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 17:57:19 EST 2015

*Graphic Design for Librarians*
*http://www.artmuseums.com/graphicdesign.htm
<http://www.artmuseums.com/graphicdesign.htm>*

*Online Workshop for Librarians and Staff (No Prior Art Background
Required)*

*Fun, Relaxed, Informative!*

*Mary wants parents to know about her **Mom and Me** reading program in her
neighborhood library. She also likes to have visuals on hand when she
presents at the department meetings.*

*Todd has been asked to create a library guide for patrons to use when
librarians are not available. He also is responsible for making the
informational signage for general patrons.*

*Youth Service Librarian, Sandy has a large group of teens who rely on
blogs to gather their information about new books, craft programs, and
clubs. Her job is also to create wall displays and other art for the teen
corner.*

*You have decided on a general theme for your Summer Reading Program but
you want to carry the idea over to announcements, flyers, posters, bookmark
incentives, and the bulletin board.*

Librarians are often asked to communicate or *speak* a visual
language. The *Graphic
Design for Librarians *class gives you the rules and tools for making that
challenge not only possible but fun.

The four week class gives you an opportunity to network and share ideas
with others who are actively engaged in what you are doing. No prior art
experience is needed or required to learn simple guidelines for making
those graphic design tasks easier and more effective-no matter the project.

Ignite your creative spark while learning basic skills needed to produce
practical projects with the hardware and software you have already.

*What are librarians who have taken the workshops saying about the class?*

*I found the section on fonts particularly informative. . .The information
on fonts was most helpful. *

*It really does help to see how others lay things out and what the
possibilities are not just for posters, but for calendars, business cards,
letters, and brochures. All of these are things that I have been called on
to create at some point or another. *

*The links to the templates and the link to the free graphic design
software was particularly helpful.*

*Overall, the visual examples and the links to resources have been the most
helpful to me. The exercise of creating a flyer from scratch was
eye-opening and enjoyable. . .*

*The video clips were clear and informative.*

*I have enjoyed the class and have learned quite a bit.*

*I have already started using what I learned in creating at least a 1/2 doz
new flyers for our programs during the last few weeks! What is so
satisfying is that people are noticing that the flyers are a lot more
interesting to look at and I have gotten several compliments on them
(yeah!) *Learn art fundamentals that will help you create effective design
projects. Through illustrated lectures, hands-on assignments, and
discussion groups you will explore basic principle and design elements,
attention grabbers, and tips for creating the layout, font, and content
techniques you want to project.

Week 1-The first week you will network with others and share your most
successful projects. You will also learn how to “read” art designs by
exploring the elements of composition and principles of design. Selecting
materials, supplies, and software that you may want or need will be
presented. The variety of projects that a librarian may want to create
using graphic design techniques will be addressed.

Week 2-The second week will combine the techniques that you learned in the
first class and then merge them with more tools for creating effective
designs. Specific projects such as posters, flyers, signage, displays, and
other basic graphic design tasks will be created and critiqued. The
importance of *Font* will be included in this second class.

Week 3-We will look at the rules of *Layout *and *White Space* in Week 3.
Brochures, newsletters, guidebooks, and other more challenging projects
will be analyzed and reviewed.
Week 4-Content and themes come together in Week 4 as we explore electronic
design. We will look at the good and the ugly as we learn how to create
aesthetically pleasing websites, blogs, and other internet project designs.

http://www.artmuseums.com/graphicdesign.htm

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-02-13