Weeding Content on Library Website

Ken Varnum varnum at UMICH.EDU
Thu Aug 6 12:27:47 EDT 2015

We (University of Michigan) did a significant review, standard
establishment, and clean-up process for our web content, described in a
couple posts on our blog, Library Tech Talk
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/blogs/library-tech-talk>:
Curating Web Content to Meet Patron Needs
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/blogs/library-tech-talk/curating-web-content-meet-patron-needs>
A New Model for Overseeing Web Content
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/blogs/library-tech-talk/new-model-overseeing-web-content>

--
Ken Varnum | Web Systems Manager | University of Michigan Library
varnum at umich.edu | @varnum | 734-615-3287

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Pruntel,Alison <
Alison.Pruntel at fauquiercounty.gov> wrote:

> ***Apologies in advance, this has been posted on several listservs***
>

> Hello all,
>

> Our website (http://fauquierlibrary.org/) uses WordPress as a CMS. We
> post content (book reviews, info. about authors, etc.) to the site several
> times a week, and all of our posts end up on
> http://fauquierlibrary.org/library-updates/ -- for browsing; otherwise
> you can just search the site for a topic and any related posts would
> hopefully show up in the results.
>

> We are trying to come up with some guidelines on when to remove posts that
> are past their shelf life.
>

> For those of you who post to your site/have ongoing updates, do you weed
> out content that is no longer relevant? What criteria do you use to weed
> out, i.e., info. about a particular program/event that has passed, do you
> keep up X months after just in case? I’m thinking our book lists/staff
> recommendations, etc., would stay indefinitely, but a post recapping a teen
> program could probably go.
>

> We never worried about this in the past, when we had a static website. We
> were just using Blogger to post dynamic/timely content (which was linked to
> from our static website), but now that all content is published on our
> site, need to rethink that.
>

> Thanks in advance for responding,
>

> *Alison Pruntel*
> Electronic Resources Librarian