The Lesbian Herstory Archives - Summer 2015 Special Projects

Roy Tennant roytennant at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 28 10:13:19 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: DYV <dyv.researcher at gmail.com>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:47:32 -0400
Subject: The Lesbian Herstory Archives - Summer 2015 Special Projects

*Lesbian Herstory Archives​ Internships​: Special Projects.​*

​The *Lesbian Herstory Archives <http://www.lesbianherstoryarchives.org/>*
 (located in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NYC) is looking for students who are
interested in gaining library and/or archives experience with a
demonstrated interest in Lesbian​ History .

We have a number of exciting projects for the upcoming academic year​.​
 Students must be currently enrolled in an M.L.S., Archival or​ Digital ​Asset
Management (D​AM​​)​​ studies program to apply. This is an unpaid
internship opportunity​ but lunch will be provided​.

*What We're Offering*

   - Interns will have the opportunity for practical application of
   archives and library skills.
   - Course credit and letters of recommendation will be provided upon
   request.
   - Interns will also receive the opportunity
   ​ to attend
    workshops and classes outside of LHA
   - Interns will be supervised by professional librarians and other
   archives
   ​ professional​
   staff
   - ​Lunch will be provided​

*Requirements*

   - Avail
   ​ability​
    ​
   for a
   ​t leas
   ​t
    one full
   ​8/hr week day
   per week.
   - ​C
   ompletion of
* ​ at least 1 full semester of *
   ​Library Science
   ​/Archives
   ​/ Digital​
   Management​
   courses
   ​ *OR* experience working in a library/archive​
   - Familiarity with cataloging
   ​, database data entry​
   and archival processing
   - Skilled in the use of MS Office and/or Google Docs and regular office
   equipment
   ​(copier, scanner, etc)​
   - ​Accustomed to working in a Windows/PC environment

*COLLECTION AREAS*
*​Book Collections​:​ Processing & Cataloging*

Interns will process new book donations and catalog books once they are
ready to go on the shelf. Interns will learn to care for old and rare books
as well as work on special projects to highlight different parts of the
collection on-site, in traveling exhibits and on the web.

*​Audio & ​Video ​Collection​s​​: Digitization & Preservation​*

​
​
Intern
​s​
will process incoming donated materials​, ​update cataloging records,
prepare collections for ​off-site storage ​and contribute to the collection
management meetings & creation of the operating procedures manual.
​  Interns will assist with digitization of archival audio and video
materials for preservation and improved access.

*​Online Public Access Catalog (​*
*OPAC​)​ Project​: Data Cleanup & Design​*

Interns will perform database cleanup in a variety of collections and
contribute to the design, testing and launch of the LHA’s new OPAC.
​ Will also involve metadata creation and management.​

*APPLICATION PROCESS*
​S
ubmit a *Cover Letter *(skills, experience, relevant interests
​
​& availability) and *Resume* to lha_interns at earthlink.net
​ ​
​Typ
e​
*“Internship​ - ​Spring 2015​”​ in the Subject Line​**.  *
All documents must be attached as a PDF. ​
​
*NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE*.

*​About The Lesbian Herstory ArchivesIn operation since 1974, ​​The Lesbian
Herstory Archives <http://www.lesbianherstoryarchives.org/> is home to the
world's oldest and largest collection of archival, bibliographic and
multimedia materials by and about the diverse lesbian experience. LHA is,
and has always been, an all-volunteer run, 501(c)3 , non-profit educational
organization with no paid staff and no government support.   We rely upon
individual donations and private foundation support. We offer research
assistance to academics, artists, filmmakers authors, individuals and
classes. We also provide  tours, exhibits in-house events and a
semester-long Lesbian Studies course.   Our open hours are listed on our
website in the "Calendar" section.  Please visit us to browse, do research
or volunteer any time we are open.​Follow Us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lesbian-Herstory-Archives/24939682269>*

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-04-28