library website hosting

Haitz, Lisa (haitzlm) haitzlm at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Sep 23 19:27:34 EDT 2014

Would your institution support Wordpress multi-year site? You could have your own "site" within that install. Just a thought.

On September 23, 2014, at 5:54PM, "Shannon E. Fox" wrote:

Thank you Cary.

You’re right in that our current site is static and DreamWeaver authored. We are ready for a modern, dynamic site. Our campus IT cannot support another CMS. They have offered to work with us on incorporating our library site into the main campus WordPress-driven/CMS website. We are less enthusiastic about that option and hence are exploring alternatives. We are interested in Joomla and Drupal. We’ve had a few suggestions now of LibGuides that also sounds promising.

Shannon

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Cary Gordon
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:46 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] library website hosting

The answer really depends on the website, and your plans for it.

Your current site appears to be static and generated by Dreamweaver. It is likely pretty low on the neediness scale and could be placed on any reliable host. Hostgator is one of those.

If you move to a CMS — I see that your institution is using Wordpress — you move to a higher level of neediness. You need an application platform — PHP for Wordpress, a database hosted on a database server, and perhaps most importantly, someone to pay attention to security and update the software and servers, when necessary. Commodity hosts like the ones you mentioned should have no problem meeting the technical requirements for a small Wordpress or Drupal site.

What they don't offer, generally, is site-specific application maintenance. In other words, they might update the database software, the web server software and the server software, but they probably won't update the service software, because that might bring down your site. This is why companies like Lishost (and mine) are worth looking at, if you are going to run a CMS.

Cherry Hill — MPOW — is a full service Drupal shop, and we do all of the maintenance, monitoring and backups for our clients. Most of our hosting customers have our basic package, which at $900/year including all you can ask support, would likely be overkill for you, but it frees them from worry.

Thanks,

Cary