Adaptive/Assistive Software on Library Machines

Jack Drost drostj at UAH.EDU
Tue Sep 23 09:49:58 EDT 2014

We had a computer with JAWS for years. It got very little use and most
students and their parents said they did not like JAWS. The main complaint
was that they found it awkward to use. The last copy we had was a version
from 2008. By the time students get to us, they have found software that
works well for them and that is what they continue using. Whatever package
they use, it usually allows installation on several machines so we install
it for them on a classroom pc or on one of the pcs in the public area when
they ask.

The administration here has decided it needs to do more to comply with
assistive technology regulations, so they are buying a network license for
JAWS and we will install a copy or two here in the library. I told them
about our previous experience with JAWS, but it seems to be the go-to
package and I think the intent is to have something we can point to and say
we are complying with regulations, whether students use it or not. Of
course it is impossible to have a copy of every available package
installed, and the newer version has undoubtedly improved and may be more
popular.

Before you purchase anything you might try to find out what your students
use. I have found the students and their parents are very knowledgeable
about the different products available and what works best for them.

Jack

--
Jack Drost

Director of Library Systems