Room scheduling software

David Cridland D.Cridland at UWS.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 15 19:59:33 EDT 2014

Hi Sara,

At University of Western Sydney we use a system that is based on the "Meeting Room Booking System" open source software available at this location http://mrbs.sourceforge.net/

For the UWS system we have made changes to adapt the system to our needs. We have 7 campus libraries with varying numbers of study rooms at each location and different opening times. Changes include:- (Many of these are spelled out on our conditions of booking page)

-          Authentication by LDAP allows us to use UWS student login username/password

-          Restricted views to the day view, not needing the week and month view.

-          Restricted calendar views to forward bookings, as there is no need to see past history

-          Restricted students to maximum 2 hours per day

-          Restricted students to maximum 2 bookings per day (otherwise they try to book quarter hour sessions every half hour in an attempt to dominate the room for longer)

-          Restricted students to maximum 2 weeks advanced booking.

-          Restricted students from naming or describing their own booking sessions, each session is simply called "Booked" (It was felt that common sense and decency may not prevail)

-          Restricted students to searching (using report) for their own bookings and provide a direct link to this report.

-          Student bookings are in Green, staff bookings are in blue - MRBS allows many colours, but we currently only use two.

-          Students cannot change other peoples bookings

Most staff have none of these restrictions and have extra administrative rights that allow :-

-          Naming of sessions, eg. Staff Meeting

-          Any duration, any advanced time, any number of bookings, whole day booking in a click, multiple room booking at a site.

-          Facility to easily book in a pattern - weekly, daily, monthly, second day of every third week, etc

-          Changing room names and descriptions

-          Add or Delete rooms or Hide room for a short period.

-          Add or delete sites (Libraries).

-          Delete or edit any booking.

-          Can search by report for bookings by time, site, room, student id, etc.

There is a choice of which DB to use, we use Mysql as the database behind the system.\

Regards
David Cridland
Library Systems Officer (Research)
University of Western Sydney