Public Computers

Jim Gilbert(WTPL) gilbert.j at WHITEHALLPL.ORG
Mon Sep 15 10:09:02 EDT 2014

Hi Janet,

We use time management software (PC-Reservation from Envisionware) to manage time.
We do not distinguish between the 3 categories of patrons (Township resident / PA-Access-resident / Non-resident).
Should all computers be in use, we make a reservation where the person who has been on a computer the longest will give up their session.

This usually, means we are reserving a computer that is being used by a regular. (We have patrons who are always on a computer).
Our sessions are 45-minutes, but can be renewed in 15-minute increments, provided no reservations are on that machine.

In practice, the wait time seems to be ~15-minutes.

The software we have in place handles all warnings. We configured it for:

10-minute warning (“please save work – the session may end in 10 minutes”)
7-minute warning (much the same as above)
4-minute warning (“Save your work, the session WILL end in 4-minutes due to an existing reservation, anything that has not been saved cannot be recovered”)

James Gilbert, BS, MLIS
Systems Librarian
Whitehall Township Public Library
3700 Mechanicsville Road