Films On Demand streaming problems

Chris Zagar chris.zagar at ESTRELLAMOUNTAIN.EDU
Fri Oct 24 12:00:01 EDT 2014

I tracked down the issue to a really subtle JavaScript bug in their new HTML 5 player which happens the second or subsequent times we try to play a video due to browser caching of support JavaScript files.  In particular, one of Kaltura’s JavaScript files that has been cached locally from a previous video play calls a routine on their main page before the DOM is setup, where the JavaScript in that function tries to pull an element and get its classname and ends up erroring off and killing the video player, leaving nothing but the spinner.

If you see this behavior, check the JavaScript console of your browser to see if this is the line blowing up:

var clipBool = document.getElementById('ctl00_MainContent_clipBool').className;

If so, you’ve got the same problem.

I’ve reported it to them and have our EZproxy server setup to proxy local and remote users with logic to patch around it for now, so we’re back in business.

Chris Zagar

Systems Librarian

Estrella Mountain Community College

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/