Institutional permission/approval for usability testing?

Jarvis, Hugh hjarvis at BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Oct 23 09:15:55 EDT 2014

Like Amy, we do not request IRB approval, similarly because we only use the information internally to improve our web projects.

Sometimes we do record using Camtasia, and we do tally names, gender, age cohort, and academic/professional field in our rough notes.  That insures we have a decent spread of subjects among the various age/gender/disciplinary persuasion and that we can quickly refer back to an individual study if needed, should additional tests surface a new factor to which we hadn’t been paying close attention.

However none of these personal identifying details make it into our formal reports except as a rough tabulation to show we didn’t just speak to a very narrow population.

We feel very comfortable with this approach, since our research goal is not to study people’s behavior, per se, and we have no intention of publicly disclosing the information we gather except in aggregate, without identifying details, and then only to internal clients.   If we speak about our work at professional conferences, we only mention these studies in very general terms.

I work out of our marketing and publications office, so I can’t speak for our central libraries’ practice.

Cheers,
                Hugh

Hugh Jarvis (PhD, MLS)
Cybrarian, University Communications