Posting policy

Thomas Dowling dowlintp at WFU.EDU
Mon Oct 6 10:40:16 EDT 2014

In Web4Lib's rowdier days, we needed regular reminders of the list's
rules.  I take it as a sign of maturity that the community functions
smoothly without a monthly FAQ, but it bears pointing out that the rules
are still in place.

Web4Lib does have a posting policy that articulates what is and is not
welcome on the list.  It;s on the list's home page, http://web4lib.org
(which, if you forget it, is appended to the bottom of every list posting).

Specifically, the policy includes:

    Advertisements are not appropriate. This includes, but is not
    limited to, announcements of new products and free trials by
    those who stand to gain from such announcements. However,
    a simple statement that offers a way to follow-up for more
    information on a service or product is tolerated if it accompanies
    a substantive message discussing a subject appropriate to the
    list. Announcements of conferences, workshops, new publications,
    and position openings appropriate to the topic of the list
    are allowed.

The editorial board is aware of recent ads on the list and have cautioned
the poster to abide by the posting policy.

--
Thomas Dowling
Director of Technologies, Z. Smith Reynolds Library

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2014-10-06