Interactive content for digital signage

Thomas Dowling dowlintp at WFU.EDU
Fri Jul 18 15:46:08 EDT 2014

We use Pis with free, hosted signage software from risevision.com.  The
software basically runs the Chromium browser in kiosk mode with a bit of
scripting to make it restart automatically if it crashes.  It takes a
little bit of web design to make a sign with their software, but you can do
a lot more than a static slideshow, and edit your content from any web
browser.

With the Pi, you'll need a case, SD card, USB wireless dongle, HDMI cable,
and USB power supply; the total comes in around $75.  Connect it* to a
standard TV with HDMI in, and you've got a really good looking sign.  For
us, the limiting factor is the cost of any wall mounting we want to do.

(*We use zip ties.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151608353065877&l=8b53cea7d9)

--
Thomas Dowling
Director of Technologies, Z. Smith Reynolds Library