Interactive content for digital signage

Michael Schofield mschofield at NOVA.EDU
Fri Jul 18 12:58:00 EDT 2014

My friend Amanda Goodman (@godaisies on Twitter) is building and designing a touch kiosk right now. She's been sharing pictures about the design and the process. I'd pick her brain.

Also,

At this stage I too would balk about a $30,000 price tag. There are some legit reasons [I guess] for the cost of the hardware, etc. - but based on how you and other libraries intend to use this it really shouldn't cost that much. What you need is a large touch screen with internet access, then you can essentially do what OSU [and Amanda] are doing and build a responsive website for the kiosk. It can be on top of a CMS or pull from RSS or JSON feeds to make it painless to update. You might even use a framework like jQuery Mobile (which isn't just for small hand screens) that adds a nice layer of interactive transitions, modals, etc.

I'm x-posting this to code4lib because I think folks might like to weigh in. Good topic!

// Michael
// ns4lib.com
// @gollydamn

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Thomas Edelblute
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:23 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Interactive content for digital signage

When we did a remodel of the library a few years ago, I first looked at a server that would feed the content to various digital signs that we could change on the fly and pull content from RSS feeds.  But management balked at the $30,000 price tag on that.  So we went with a company that provides large television like monitors that read JPG files of USB drives and are turned on and off by a Christmas tree timer.  The company also supports these setups with auto-dealerships in the area.

Thomas Edelblute
Public Access Systems Coordinator
Anaheim Public Library