Drones

Kerry Ingersoll kinger at MANHATTAN.LIB.KS.US
Tue Jul 15 10:29:10 EDT 2014

I've had a DJI Phantom quadcopter (AKA a drone, but I don't like the negative connotations currently attached to the term "drone" ) for some time, so thought I'd share some information.

Commercial use of UAVs is currently illegal in the U.S.   Nothing to stop you from using them for anything else as long as they aren't flown for profit or over someone else's property.

I think one of the most interesting use of quads for personal use is with a camera attached.  Lots of new photo opportunities.

HOWEVER... Remember that RC models are not toys.  They require good piloting technique.  Quads also have sharp-edged blades and batteries that can, when damaged, create a vicious fire.   Quads are often marketed as Ready To Fly.  Unfortunately, most newbie pilots aren't RTF.

When you have a quadcopter with four motors and one motor fails, you basically have no control over where the bird goes and it can crash pretty hard.   The liability costs could be large so be very careful.   You can get liability insurance if you join the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/

So, a few basic guidelines...

Don't fly close to or over people.
Don't fly over traffic.
Keep your flights under 400 feet in altitude, more than 5 miles from an airport and don't use First Person View if you want to stay on good terms with the FAA.

The FAA is VERY concerned with all the new interest in UAVs and there may come a day when stricter regulations are put in place, especially if there are a lot of accidents.   Please use safe flying techniques.

Kerry Ingersoll
  Information Technology Manager
     Manhattan Public Library
     629 Poyntz Ave.