Writing for the Web (online class)

Rory Litwin rlitwin at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 15 09:24:40 EDT 2014

Writing for the Web

Instructors: Nicole Capdarest and Rebecca Blakiston
Dates: August 4-29, 2014
Credits: 1.5 CEUs
Price: $175

http://libraryjuiceacademy.com/048-writing-web-aug.php

Many users come to your website for information, and their ability to interpret the information you provide will make the difference between a good and a bad user experience. In this four-week online course, you will learn how to write web copy that is succinct, understandable, and engaging. You will discover how users read online and the importance of focusing on your essential messages, using space effectively, and treating your website as a conversation with your users. You will learn how to establish a consistent voice and tone, and how to use such techniques as layering information, exploiting the power of parallelism, making good use of links, and keeping active space in your content. You will also learn how to best use bulleted and numbered lists and tables in presenting your web content, as well as the importance of producing alternative text for visually impaired users. Through examples, activities and hands-on practice, you will hone your skills in writing using active voice, straightforward sentences, and cutting unnecessary words.

We did a survey of participants the last time this course was offered. Here are a few of the responses:

"The quality of feedback was outstanding. The instructors really took the time to review each and every comment or assignment submitted and provide relevant, insightful criticism."

"The learning modules were tailored perfectly. They were relevant and effective, but didn't take too much time. Good readings and good lectures."

"It was packed full of tips and offered so much bang for the buck and time. I really appreciated the active learning component of working with an actual page and getting feedback from Nicole and Rebecca was super valuable. I also really like that we submitted our assignments via the discussion boards, because I learned a lot from what other classmates were doing and the kinds of feedback they got."

"Thank you! I really loved this class and being pushed to immediately apply what we were learning. Know I will go back to my notes, the readings and the lectures for a long time!"

80% said "great value for the cost" (20% said expected value for the cost)

100% said they would recommend the course to others.

Your instructors:

Nicole Capdarest-Arest is the Clinical Librarian at Stanford University and past Emerging Technologies Librarian at the Arizona Health Sciences Library. She specializes in clinical knowledge services; emerging technologies in academic health sciences libraries; website usability, development and management; online tools to enhance library services; mobile health; and health informatics.

Rebecca Blakiston is a User Experience Librarian and the Website Product Manager at the University of Arizona Libraries in Tucson, Arizona. She provides oversight, management, and strategic planning for the library website, specializing in guerilla usability testing, writing for the web, and content strategy. She has published and presented nationally on topics including instructional design, user experience, and continuous learning.

Course structure
This is an online class that is taught asynchronously, meaning that participants do the work on their own time as their schedules allow. The class does not meet together at any particular times, although the instructor may set up optional sychronous chat sessions. Instruction includes readings and assignments in one-week segments. Class participation is in an online forum environment.

Payment info
You can register in this course through the first week of instruction. The "Register" button on the website goes to our credit card payment gateway, which may be used with personal or institutional credit cards. (Be sure to use the appropriate billing address). If your institution wants to pay using a purchase order, please contact us to make arrangements.

Library Juice Academy
P.O. Box 188784
Sacramento, CA 95818
Tel. 218-260-6115