Virtual Reference Services

Cockerill, Alan alan.cockerill at JCU.EDU.AU
Thu Jan 30 18:41:42 EST 2014

What service do you use and why?

Inhouse Openfire installation using Spark client to answer queries via the FastPath/Webchat plugins.  We also offer form based email submission, and include this on our link resolver pages. Facebook and twitter are also options for clients.

Is your service asynchronous (delayed response) or synchronous (chat)?
Both

How do you monitor answer quality?
Transcripts are logged by FastPath, emails are sent from the generic email account.

How do you schedule staff time on the virtual reference service?
All staff who 'person' the reference desk are expected to login to Spark (changing their status to available/not available depending on their current circumstance) when 'off desk' but one person is rostered to be logged on/available all the time (90 minute shifts) to ensure there is at least one person available. This is split between two campus libraries 350km apart.

How many staff do you have answering questions?
17

Alan Cockerill
Library Technologies Coordinator
James Cook University