PressForward > Discovering Scholarship on the Open Web: Communities and Methods

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Thu Feb 13 11:18:09 EST 2014

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

IMHO: Outstanding !!!

/Gerry

Joan Fragaszy Troyano, Project Director  / Jeri Wieringa, Research Assistant  / Last Updated: April 2013

Online publications that aggregate content from a wide variety of sources have become increasingly valuable to readers and publishers. The academy, however, is still unsure how to efficiently identify, collect, survey, evaluate, and redistribute the valuable scholarly writing published both formally and informally on the open web. Fortunately, some scholarly communities are developing methods to draw attention to upcoming work in their fields.

This report outlines the current state of the aggregation, curation, evaluation, and distribution of scholarship on the open web. We describe the primary types of websites where open collections of scholarly work can be found, specifically repositories, aggregators, curated content, and forums for post-publication review. We suggest an eight-point rubric for analyzing similar sources of web-published scholarship. Finally, we offer an annotated bibliography of outlets for scholarly communication on the open web.

Table of Contents

1. Introduction

2. Aggregating and Curating Scholarly Content on the Web
Repositories

> Collections of Aggregated Content
> Curated Content
> Post-publication Review and Community Discussion

3. Conclusion: Moving toward a Rubric

> Rubric for Scholarly Communication Outlets on the Open Web

4. Appendices

> Appendix A: Sites Reviewed
> Appendix B: Tools And Services Examined
> Appendix C: Scholarly Communication Projects on the Open Web

!!! Thanks to Michelle Mikkesen !!!

Source and Full Text Available Via:

[ http://scholarship20.blogspot.com/2014/02/discovering-scholarship-on-open-web.html ]

Gerry McKiernan