Take the survey of library use of QR Codes and Receive a Free Copy of the Report

Cabus, Michael CabusM at PHILAU.EDU
Tue Feb 4 16:39:18 EST 2014

Thank you, Wilhelmina...I see a QR code on a product and I am not likely to use a QR reader..

When someone sees a QR code, to use it, one has to:

1.)    Have a QR reader app on their phone (maybe they do not)

2.)    Want to take the time to use their phone to get whatever information the QR code provides

Most things I have read suggest putting the URL below the QR code because of reason #1..at that point QR codes are targeting a small subset of your population.

I sort of think, if you have to use  QR codes, most often it is to do a "fad", or it is just because you don't want to take the time to think of good design.

Using QR codes is often a way  not to think of an effective strategy for communicating whatever you want to communicate.

Michael Cabus

Systems Librarian, Paul J. Gutman Library
Philadelphia University
Phone. 215.951.5365