JOB POSTING: Digital Initiatives Librarian, RIT, Rochester NY
mstwml at RIT.EDU
Fri Aug 22 10:36:51 EDT 2014
Digital Initiatives Librarian
The Wallace Center (TWC)
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT,) Rochester, New York
The Digital Initiatives Librarian works collaboratively to assess and implement initiatives related to digital content in the library, archives and special collections; develop and implement digital preservation strategies and policies, develop new digital library offerings; outreach to the campus on the library's digital and open access projects and services; advance infrastructure supporting digital and archival library collections; and identify and help develop technologies for these purposes and in support of digital initiatives across campus.
This staff member will
* Lead TWC staff in the identification of digital resource needs and solutions.
* Identify and lead new digital and open access initiatives.
* Assist with staff training related to digital collections and technologies.
* Supervise both permanent staff and student employees working on digital and open access initiatives.
* Formulate policies, procedures and best practices for the production, management, and preservation of digital content and metadata, technical workflow, quality control, and associated intellectual property issues.
* Provide technical expertise in digital applications and lead the evaluation and implementation of technologies related to the management and dissemination of digital content, e.g. digital asset management system, institutional repository, and online exhibition tools.
* Identify grant opportunities and work collaboratively to create proposals in support of digital collections, digital preservation projects and other digital initiatives.
* Represent and champion digital preservation interests and other digital initiatives across the library and the campus.
* Assist in providing training and outreach to the campus community about the institutional repository, digital collections and digital and open access projects and programs.
To be successful in this position requires engaging with and staying current on digital trends, technologies, and industry standards to provide direction and leadership for The Wallace Center in the rapidly changing digital environment.
Required Minimum Qualifications
* Intermediate skills with digital repository software such as DSpace or Digital Commons.
* Intermediate skills with digital asset management software such as Cumulus or ContentDM.
* Intermediate skills with scanning equipment.
* Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office Suite.
* Intermediate skills with integrated library system software such as Innovative Interfaces.
* Experience managing and preserving digital collections, including familiarity with related standards, tools, and technologies.
* Experience with metadata schema and encoding (DC, MARC, OAI, EAD, METS, MODS, PREMIS, TEI, XML), and with the hardware and software required to create, store, organize and deliver digital content. Documented knowledge of best practices in digital projects and with large-scale scanning and digitization projects.
* Knowledge of copyright and permissions issues as they relate to digital repositories.
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of image, audio, video and multimedia capture and manipulation issues; experience with digital file formats and software.
* Experience identifying and writing grant proposals.
* Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and to manage multiple projects and priorities successfully.
* Supervisory and project management skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Required: 1-3 years academic library experience or similar cultural institution experience working with digital collections.
Required: Master's degree in Library Science or related field.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter Digital Initiatives Librarian, or, in the Requisition Number field, enter 1266BR. Required application documents are a resume or curriculum vitae and a cover letter.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources.
RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.
RIT provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers at rit.edu<mailto:careers at rit.edu>. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
To unsubscribe: http://bit.ly/web4lib
Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Web4lib