Omeka - - to host or not to host?

Evan Mungai Njoroge evan.njoroge at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 8 01:16:53 EDT 2014

Ken,
Congrats, I like the Omeka site, which theme are you using and if its ok
with you can you share?

  EVAN
NJOROGE *•*+254721375981 *•*+254721375981  *•*about.me/uhusiano *•*
* "Facilitating access to African digital content" *

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Ken Varnum <varnum at umich.edu> wrote:

> Our library (University of Michigan) manages its own web server
> infrastructure, which we use to host Omeka alongside Drupal:
> http://www.lib.umich.edu/online-exhibits
>
> It's not particularly burdensome, given that we're already maintaining the
> infrastructure for Drupal.
>

> --
> Ken Varnum | Web Systems Manager | MLibrary - University of Michigan - Ann
> Arbor
> varnum at umich.edu | @varnum | http://www.lib.umich.edu/users/varnum |
> 734-615-3287
>

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Eric Loehr <eloehr at smith.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> We've been using a hosted instance of Omeka for exhibits on Dreamhost.com
>> for a few years, but are planning to ramp up its use and we're considering
>> the possibility of hosting it on a server here at Smith or possibly
>> shifting to a more flexible hosted version (as a non-profit, Dreamhost is
>> giving us server space for free for Omeka, so we really can't complain - -
>> but it's a shared server and we don't have root access/complete control - -
>> which has been a slight problem for us with user permissions.)
>>
>> What are other liberal arts schools doing for Omeka hosting, and how has
>> it worked out for you?
>>

>> Thanks for any info you can provide - -
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> --