Bandwidth control in libraries

Jim Gilbert(WTPL) gilbert.j at WHITEHALLPL.ORG
Wed Aug 6 10:59:11 EDT 2014

Carol,

With pfSense, once configuration is completed - and the box installed, it is largely hands off...
I rarely need to do anything beyond a reboot - (and that is automated, reboot - hands off).

There are options that allow remote management via a webpage - I disabled access from the Wi-Fi guest side; and have access from my wired network.

They also sell their own boxes - https://www.pfsense.org/hardware/
*I would suggest asking if they are customizable via a web-interface.

James Gilbert, BS, MLIS
Systems Librarian
Whitehall Township Public Library
3700 Mechanicsville Road
Whitehall, PA 18052
610-432-4339 ext: 203

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Carol Bean
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 3:58 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Bandwidth control in libraries

Andrew,

Currently, there is no management; it's usually just routers (as far as I can tell).  Many of them do have Gigabit connections.  I am so tempted to try something like this, but I have to keep in mind that even if it's successful, the target libraries typically don't have anyone on hand that could replicate it. :-/

So...worth considering; I just have to figure out how to make it relatively easy for them (acknowledging that what is relatively easy for me does not translate to what is easy for them).

Thanks,
Carol

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2014-08-06