What do you use to limit public access to your Win7 PCs?

Stella Pool spool at AVENUE.ORG
Thu Sep 5 10:19:03 EDT 2013

I manage a computer lab in a public library.  Over the years we have used
Shared Computer Toolkit and SteadyState.  When we moved to Win 7 machines we
chose Fortres 101 and CleanSlate to manage our public computers.  Fortres
101 works fine but CleanSlate was not satisfactory and eventually we moved
to DeepFreeze for write protection.  We are still using Fortres 101 to limit
access.   Other departments in our system use group policies to limit patron
access.  I'm  probably stating the obvious but CleanSlate and DeepFreeze
restore settings to the default, they do not limit public access.  You'll
need something like Fortres or group policies for that.

We are very pleased with DeepFreeze and have invested in the enterprise
version which allows us to thaw all the computers daily for a period of time
before the building opens to the public.  That thawed period allows staff to
make adjustments and updates to run.

Good luck,

Stella Pool

Jefferson-Madison Regional Library