looking for ebook pdf embedder/ viewer

Bob Rasmussen ras at ANZIO.COM
Mon Sep 2 23:46:06 EDT 2013

(Directed mostly to the original poster, but I have lost that post.)

I may provide more questions than answers, but I'm trying to help :-) I'm
interested in what's going on behind the scenes.

I went to the site you listed (Blood-orange...) using a Windows PC and IE
10, on a large screen. It displayed fine, spacially. I won't deal with
pixel count or resolution here.

When compared with the presentation in Adobe Reader, the browser showed
considerable differences. I could see that the server was sending it as a
PNG, so I saved it as a PNG. Viewed in Windows Photo Viewer, it appeared
different yet.

On the iPad (fairly current), it didn't show the picture at all! I can't
explain this.

I took apart the PDF (using my own tools) to see what it contained for the
picture. The picture is 1480 by 1041 pixels, compressed using DCT
compression (which is essentially JPG compression). No problems so far.
But you might achieve better results if you told your converter to present
it as a JPG instead of a PNG, if that is an option.

The "colorspace" of image is "DeviceRGB". In PDF internal syntax, that
means it is non-standardized color - it has no color profile. That means
it will likely always be subject to some variation in color presentation.
You may want to scan or produce this image using a color profile.

But I believe the majority of the problem is in the converter, which seems
simply to not be handling the colors correctly.

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, Andrew Cunningham wrote:

> On 02/09/13 01:48, Sigrid Kelsey wrote:
>> I'm looking for a better pdf embedder for www.launchpadmag.com
>> <http://www.launchpadmag.com>
>>

> have you looked at https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js ?
>
>> I am currently using Google Docs, and the embedded GoogleDocs turn the
>> pdf into an image that messes with the color and resolution to the point
>> of looking pretty bad in some cases.  Visitors can download the full
>> document, but I'd like it to look at least decent when embedded too.
>> I'd like to avoid Flash as well, because of mobile devices.
>>
>> The difference in quality between the embedded and full version can be
>> easily seen with this poem:
>> http://www.launchpadmag.com/2012/08/blood-orange-or-kumquat/
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>> Sigrid
>>
>> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>>
>> 2013-09-01
>>

> --
> Andrew Cunningham
> Project Manager, Research and Development (Social and Digital Inclusion)
> Public Libraries & Community Engagement
> State Library of Victoria
> 328 Swanston Street
> Melbourne VIC 3000
>
> Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
> Mobile: 0459-806-589
> Fax: +61-3-9639-2175
>
> Email: acunningham at slv.vic.gov.au
> Alt. email: lang.support at gmail.com
>
> http://andrewc.vicnet.net.au/
> http://www.openroad.net.au/
> http://www.mylanguage.gov.au/
> http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/

> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2013-09-02

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
  company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
             fax: (US) 503-624-0760
             web: http://www.anzio.com
  street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                  10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                  Portland, OR  97223  USA