take pressure off proxy server?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at APPSTATE.EDU
Thu Oct 17 15:44:23 EDT 2013

Don't know if you are doing this already but if you filter your clients before they have to use WAM can take some load off.

Before we moved to Drupal we were using Zope in which once you get to subject or title page a call would be made as such

<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('hostname',ip_add_flag())">

Where the return value of ip_add_flag(), a python script returning 1 or 0, would set the http environment variable 'hostname' and let this code

  <dtml-if hostname>
       <A href="http://<dtml-var vdb_local_url>"><dtml-var vdb_title></a>
     <dtml-else>
     </dtml-if>

display proxy url to off campus or non proxy url if on campus, and urls are all in a database

The script simply used the split function which is also in Perl and probably Ruby or any other language and check the first 2 octets of the ip address, we owned the entire range and that is what really makes it work. (split on the period in the ip address and check [0] and [1] elements of the array that split returns.

Not having as much experience in php we now have all our database links using the proxy url but the same solution should be able to use in Drupal using php or an external script call.

 Recently the local Google Search Appliance (on campus Google indexing server/spider) brought down our WAM proxy server by too many proxy links being checked at a time, guess it was a threaded process.  So still having the old server running because some services still are not duplicated on Drupal, we still had a database page where we could at least give on campus users access to some of our databases.  Since moving to the Drupal site the old server had not been updated to which databases we had access to but most of them we still had licensed.

I'll be happy to share any scripting or answer any questions if anyone is interested.

Tom

Support Request                http://portal.support.appstate.edu
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587
Library Systems                              http://www.library.appstate.edu

Confidentiality Notice:
This communication constitutes an electronic communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Section 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the recipient intended by the sender of this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Please contact this office immediately by return e-mail or at 828-262-6587, and destroy the original transmission and its attachment(s), if any, if you are not the intended recipient.

On Oct 16, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Amy Lynn Fry wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am brand new to Web4Lib.
>
> We currently use WAM proxy. Every semester, during our busiest times, our proxy server tends to get overloaded, and, as a result, people cannot access resources. They either don’t load, or users get a 402 or a 403 error.
>
> Is there a way we could set up our resources to take pressure off our proxy server? (without having two links in every record)
>
> We are investigating moving to EZProxy, and I’m really, really hoping we will do that next year, but I’d like to be able to offer our patrons a more reliable experience using our resources NOW. Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Amy
>
> Amy Fry
> Electronic Resources Coordinator