WEB4LIB Mobile Dev Tools Advice

William Helman whelman at UBALT.EDU
Wed Oct 9 09:44:36 EDT 2013

When we were starting out, we found "Head First html5 Programming" (
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/706018590) and "Head First Mobile Mobile Web" (
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/744291335) useful.

For what it's worth, we decided that mobile web and not native was right
for our user community, and went with jQuery
mobile<http://jquerymobile.com/>as our html5 framework. We found their
online documentation and user
community to be very helpful. And, it had almost no appreciable learning
curve, assuming you have a reasonable grasp of html to start with. If you'd
like to take a look, we've posted our code to
GitHub<https://github.com/whelman/langsdale_mobile>.
You can also see the final product at http://langsdale.ubalt.edu if you
visit on a phone, or http://langsdale.ubalt.edu/m on a desktop or tablet.

  -Bill Helman

Integrated Digital Services Librarian. The University of Baltimore,
Langsdale Library
whelman at ubalt.edu | 410-837-4209 | http://whelman.com |
@thinkpol<http://twitter.com/thinkpol>

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Wright, Jen <WrightJ at freelibrary.org> wrote:

> There is also Treehouse.  They have individual subscriptions.  We are
> looking into offering subscriptions for our cardholders.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-10-09