Launch of _Promo Code: Strategies for Promoting Library Resources and Services To Distant Learners_ Blog

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Fri Nov 8 16:37:11 EST 2013

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

I'm please to announce the launch of the _Promo Code: Strategies for Promoting Library Resources and Services To Distant Learners_ Blog.

_Promo Code_ is "devoted to documenting initiatives, projects, and research relating the variety of effective strategies for promoting library resources and services to distant learners" and is located at

[ http://librarypromocode.blogspot.com/ ]

I've seeded it an outstanding article about a recent Kansas State University project >

Cite: Pitts, J., Bonella, L., & Coleman, J. (2012). We built it, why didn't they come? An analysis of library awareness and usage in the Kansas State University distance learning community. In F. Baudino & C. Johnson (Eds.), Brick and Click Libraries: An Academic Library Symposium, Northwest Missouri State University, Friday, October 26,  2012 (pp. 141-151). Maryville, MO: Northwest Missouri State University.

[Introduction]

[snip]

In May 2011, KSUL’s Instructional Design Librarian established a Distance Learning Team (hereafter referred to as we) comprised of representatives from KSUL’s two largest public services departments: Faculty and Graduate Services (FGS) and Undergraduate and Community Services (UCS). Although we were anxious to begin improving services and marketing efforts, we decided to minimize the likelihood of solving non-existent problems by heeding the Standards’ call for a user survey. This paper describes the survey’s goals and items, presents key results (including the development of the survey instrument as an educational tool), outlines some of the changes we subsequently initiated to bolster services and marketing, and discusses our plans for future service improvements and assessments.

[more]

Source and Full Text Available Via:

[http://librarypromocode.blogspot.com/2013/11/we-built-it-why-didnt-they-come.html]

As previously announced, I am greatly interested in other "nitiatives, projects, and research relating the variety of effective strategies for promoting library resources and services to distant learners."

BTW: Thanks to Joelle Pitts !!!

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University
152 Parks Library
Ames IA 50011

"It's Not The Journey; It's The Detours."

 http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2013/09/its-not-journey-its-detours.html

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-11-08