Effective Strategies for Promoting Library Resources and Services to Distant Learners ?

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Thu Nov 7 21:24:28 EST 2013

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

I am greatly interested in  learning  of

"Effective Strategies for Promoting Library Resources and Services to Distant Learners."

I reviewing the results of a recent survey of distant learning students with regard to their awareness of library resources and services, and I was quite dismayed that a significant percentage were not.

Note: Respondents learned about services and features from the survey.

Based on survey results, awareness of several key library features was significantly low:

For such features as course reserve, ‘Ask Us’, interlibrary loan, databases, electronic journals, and library research guides, the percentage of students who were not aware at all of any any these services was more than 40%, with the latter over 50% .

BTW: I'm not interested in creating resources and general services for the distant learner per se, but in strategies for _promoting_ them.

BTW: While I will be conducting a systematic literature and web review I am also interested in any / all publications / resources on the topic.

I have posted few strategies and will post others as I learn of them, as well as significant literature / web resources

http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2013/11/effective-strategies-for-promoting_7.html

Thanks for assistance !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University
152 Parks Library
Ames IA 50011

"It's Not The Journey; It's The Detours."

 http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2013/09/its-not-journey-its-detours.html

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-11-07