Google Scholar in Place of Discovery

Cockerill, Alan alan.cockerill at JCU.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 6 23:00:17 EST 2013

Hi Glenn

I included it in an environmental scan of federated search offerings in maybe 2009. Certainly cost effective (especially if you have a well maintained link resolver).

At the time the major con was Google's lack of openness about what exactly was being indexed and when - librarians always want to know what titles are being indexed (or should I say, what 'databases' are covered). On that theme not having a support team you can easily contact about problems would also frustrate librarians.

Now I think the major con is Google's predilection for pulling services that don't meet whatever criteria they use to determine whether they maintain them. (Vale Reader)  http://www.maxkemman.nl/2013/09/what-if-google-killed-scholar/

The other thing that isn't quite a con but is a function I don't think is quite obvious to users is the 'All n versions' link on the bottom of each record.  Often I've found the default displaying record's link to our link resolver doesn't work but if I view all versions and try the link resolver for each I will often get a link that does work (a sure sign the original metadata wasn't parsed correctly so an ill-formed openurl has been created). Our discovery layer seems to handle deduplication better - but I like Scholar's lack of distinction between open access and subscription full text.

We do promote Scholar as an option and our link resolver referral stats indicate that Scholar does about a third of referrals to the link resolver that Summon does (remembering Summon 'direct links' to a significant chunk of fulltext, bypassing the resolver). Combined, Scholar and Summon account for 60% of all link resolver referrals.

Cheers, Alan.

Alan Cockerill
Library Technologies Coordinator
Library & Information Services
James Cook University PO Box 6811 CAIRNS QLD 4870 AUSTRALIA
P:(07) 4232 1737 I:+61 7 4232 1737 F: (07) 4232 1845
E: Alan.Cockerill at jcu.edu.au<mailto:Alan.Cockerill at jcu.edu.au>
www.jcu.edu.au
Location: B1 Level 0
CRICOS Provider Code: 00117J (QLD)