MOOCs and Libraries > Recent Postings

Blatchley, Carolyn cblatchley at CCPA.NET
Mon May 20 16:50:28 EDT 2013

Don't shoot [Gerry] the messenger. This was published by Meredith Schwartz (mschwartz at mediasourceinc.com<mailto:mschwartz at mediasourceinc.com>), News Editor of Library Journal<http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/05/library-services/massive-open-opportunity-supporting-moocs/>.

I admit I was a little offended until I focused on the words "may not" and thought of some of our smallest public libraries. They may not even have Internet access...

She didn't state what kind of librarian she interviewed that said, "I'm sorry to be dumb, but what's a MOOC?" Still, the way it was written didn't come across as very kind to public libraries. I'll bet there are librarians of ALL kinds that don't know what a MOOC is.

Carolyn Blatchley
Training Services Coordinator
Cumberland County Library System
1601 Ritner Highway, Suite 100
Carlisle, PA 17013-9380
717.240.5379 | cblatchley at ccpa.net
cumberlandcountylibraries.org<http://cumberlandcountylibraries.org/>

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Nate Hill
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:22 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [Caution: Message contains Suspicious URL content] Re: [WEB4LIB] MOOCs and Libraries > Recent Postings

"If you're a public librarian, on the other hand, you may not even have heard of them"
Man, cut that. C'mon.

On Sunday, May 19, 2013, McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] wrote:
Colleagues/

IMHO > Most Excellent !!!

/Gerry

1> Massive Open Opportunity: Supporting MOOCs in Public and Academic Libraries

If you're an academic librarian, you're probably already awash, at least peripherally, in news about MOOCs-massive open online courses have been touted as the next big thing in higher ed since they burst on the scene about a year ago. If you're a public librarian, on the other hand, you may not even have heard of them. Yet MOOCs are bringing unprecedented challenges and opportunities to both kinds of libraries already, and they're only going to grow.

What is a MOOC
Why would they need the library?
CLEARING COPYRIGHTED CONTENT
Supporting production
Supporting students
Measuring a MOOC
Preservation
The Library as Content Creator
MOOCs and the public library
MOOCs for librarianship

Source and Full Text Available Via

[ http://moocsandlibraries.blogspot.com/2013/05/massive-open-opportunity-supporting.html ]

2> Librarians: Your Most Valuable MOOC Supporters

What about libraries? That's the question on our minds as the world declares its love for massive open online courses, or MOOCs. Libraries are a major part of universities, but they're almost entirely missing from the MOOC conversation. That's a big mistake.

Libraries offer resources, from research to licensing support, that are essential to the future of MOOCs as they grow both in numbers and in seriousness. As MOOCs become an increasingly valid and valuable resource, it's clear that they can benefit from another great educational resource: librarians.

The MOOC Library

[snip]

The MOOC Challenge

[snip]

What MOOC Librarians Can Do

Take a MOOC
Become a Part of MOOC Development
Offer licensing and access support.Develop course research guides.
Create library MOOCs.

[snip]

"We're at the beginning, not the end," Proffitt says. MOOCs have a lot to offer students and the future of online higher education, and librarians are in a great position to help this fledgling resource grow in depth and quality. There's so much librarians can do, and there are many opportunities for development.

Source and Full Text Available Via

[ http://moocsandlibraries.blogspot.com/2013/05/librarians-your-most-valuable-mooc.html ]

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University
152 Parks Library
Ames IA 50011

http://moocsandlibraries.blogspot.com/<http://moocsandlibraries.blogspot.com/2013/05/librarians-your-most-valuable-mooc.html>

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-05-19

--
Nate Hill
nathanielhill at gmail.com<mailto:nathanielhill at gmail.com>

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-05-19

The information in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is neither the intended recipient, nor an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, then you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, unauthorized use, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you, Cumberland County, PA.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-05-20