books on data science or "Big Data"

Drew, Wilfred E CTR USAF AFMC AFRL/RIOIL Wilfred.Drew.ctr at RL.AF.MIL
Tue May 14 08:14:13 EDT 2013

I do appreciate the references. Many thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jankowski
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:21 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] books on data science or "Big Data"

Bill Drew:

Here are a few additional references related to big data. I think many of us
would appreciate receiving the bibliography you compile based on your query
and further search; please post to this list or send separately.

Thanks,
Nick Jankowski
nickjan at xs4all.nl

Anderson, C. (2008, June 23). The End of Theory: The Data Deluge Makes the
Scientific Method Obsolete. Wired Magazine, (Science: Discoveries).
Available at:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-07/pb_theory

Bollier, D. (rapporteur) (2010). The promise and peril of big data.
Washington, DC: The Aspen Institute. Available at:
http://www.aspeninstitute.org/publications/promise-peril-big-data

boyd, d. & Crawford, K. (2011). Six provocations for big data. Conference
paper. Available at SSRN:

boyd, d. & Crawford, K. (2012). Critical questions for big data:
provocations for a cultural, technological, and scholarly phenomenon.
Information, Communication and Society 15:5. Abstract available at:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1369118X.2012.678878#.UY4j3MqcFTI

Snijders, C., Matzat, U., & Ulf-Dietrich, R. (2012). "Big data": Big gaps of
knowledge in the field of internet science. International Journal of
Internet Science, 8(1). Available at:
http://www.ijis.net/ijis7_1/ijis7_1_editorial_pre.html

Zikopoulos, P. C. et al. (2012). Understanding Big Data: Analytics for
Enterprise Class Hadoop and Streaming Data. New York: McGraw Hill.
Available from IBM at:
https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/signup.do?source=sw-infomgt&S_
PKG=500016891&S_CMP=is_bdebook1_bdmicrornav

2013-05-11