Librarians and the Era of the MOOC

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Thu May 9 18:08:42 EDT 2013

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

IMHO > Most Excellent !!!

/Gerry

The New York Times dubbed 2012 “The Year of the MOOC,” and it has since become one of the hottest topics in education. Time magazine said that free MOOCs open the door to the “Ivy League for the Masses.” Two of the world’s leading MOOCs, Coursera and Udacity, earned venture capital in the amounts of $22 million and $15 million, respectively. Educators, politicians, and yes, librarians, are taking note of this disruptive educational technology trend, and the future it holds for the training for our future scientists, doctors, nurses, engineers, and others entering STEM fields. I remember back my library school days, how librarians were fearing and struggling to redefine their role in “search” in the Age of Google, and now, they face another challenge, finding their role aiding professors and students in the Era of the MOOC.

[more]

Source and Full Text Available Via

[ http://moocsandlibraries.blogspot.com/2013/05/librarians-and-era-of-mooc.html ]

Gerry McKiernan