How to display daily hours on webpage

John Fereira jaf30 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Mar 21 18:00:59 EDT 2013

I developed an hours service as a java web application that exposes rest style urls that return current, daily (some day in the future), semester, and academic year hours for a location.  I can return a html fragment, or the hours represented in xml or json.  It's currently being used from several different unit library web sites at Cornell.  I created basic drupal module (that has been improved by one of my collegues) that can be used to display the opening/closing hours for any location for which an "hours calendar" has been created using a web accessible admin interface (i.e. early closing hours in the case of inclement weather).  The calendar also allows to add a "note" for information that is difficult to represent in the backend database (for example, we have some locations that are open from 8-11AM, close for an hour, then are open again from noon until 5PM on the same day).  That note can be displayed on the web site along with the open/closed hours.

The service supports a bunch of different requests, including being able to pass a location and an open and close datetime value and it will return whether or not the location is open during that datetime range.  We're integrating that feature with a meeting room reservation system so that a room within the library can't be reserved if the library is closed at any time during the requested period.   Because it supports an arbitrary number of locations, and each of those locations is geocoded, it can suggest going to a different library that is nearby, or provide a different set of hours for the building, reference desk, or the café that's in the lobby.