text reference question

Heather Dalal hdalal at RIDER.EDU
Mon Mar 18 11:03:25 EDT 2013

I started this message as a reply to Reference via Chat, but now I have
a question about text.
We've been trialing libraryh3lp for a while. They are really
understanding and will extend free trials as long as you need to trial.
They understand how busy it can be working in an academic library.

However, Mosio called me up and they tried to warn me that the
libraryh3lp/twilio service is a hack and it's not the legit way to
provide text reference.  He said carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) prefer
the short numbers and a carrier could shut the number down if they found
out about it.   If a patron called up and said none of his texts were
being received, we couldn't investigate and if we did, then that's how
we'd get caught. Sounds so fishy!   I wasn't sure if he was just trying
to scare me or not.  But I couldn't come up with the right terms to
google this to find out if he's employing sales tactics or if this is
something we should worry about.

Anyone have thought on this?
Thank you,

Heather

--

Heather Dalal, MLIS, MEd (Instructional Design)
Assistant Professor I-Librarian