Libraries

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at STOCKTONGOV.COM
Fri Mar 1 12:11:02 EST 2013

Speaking to the permanence of library's -- yes, I read the other posts,
including Peter's clarification:

What becomes of libraries will be determined more by community values
than by technology. Community values for fairness, access to information
(both present and past), and compassion for a wide range of people with
differing levels of information literacy would be predictors for
libraries to endure.  Absent those, good luck!

>>> On 3/1/2013 at 8:22 AM, in message
<CAJbtYxRvBzZsdVN95roWFoW8QxHjNQk4EzxXqkyrJ-0OyDx-mA at mail.gmail.com>,
James Olson <olsonjam at HAWAII.EDU> wrote:

It's an unfortunate thing, but the only people I hear talk about the
infobubble personalized results creates are librarians. On the one hand,
people want pertinent results, but then on the other hand, they don't
want to have their ideas challenged. A serendipity factor, where a
certain percentage of results comes from outside your bubble, would be a
nice feature, but I'm afraid most people would set the ratio at zero.

Non-tracking versions of search like DuckDuckGo do have some
popularity, but I think it's mostly due to aversion to being tracked,
not to the search bubble. I keep telling myself I should use
alternatives to Google, but sadly I don't do it.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Walt Crawford <waltcrawford at gmail.com>