Libraries

Hess, M. Ryan MHESS8 at DEPAUL.EDU
Fri Mar 1 11:22:51 EST 2013

A good read! Can't wait to see the full e-book.

As for the possibility of this distopian future coming to pass in 7 years:
why not? 7 years is a long time when it comes to technology and the social
changes that spring from them. Just in the past couple years, we suddenly
have voice recognition on our phones, AI game show contestants and
driverless carsŠall just getting started.

That said, we do have a lot of inertia on our side and I see several
libraries doing a pretty good job staying up to date. But most have only
social inertia keeping them going.

The generational issue Peter brings up has been and will continue to be a
difficult schism for libraries over the next 7 years. The reference points
for older librarians and younger librarians are so different, one oriented
around stacks and slips, the other around scripts and clicks. I think we
all see this issue, even the older folks in our organizations (and I'm no
spring chicken mind you!)

That said, I've been fortunate to work with some younger administrators
over the last few years and it's been nice to see a new vision put into
practice. But the obstacles are steep, especially since the generational
divide (and sometimes its just a perceptual divide) can extend beyond the
library.

Also along Peter's line of thinking, I worked for a large software company
in Silicon Valley for a time and worked with project managers, many just a
few years out of graduate school. Most of these people would come to the
market research librarians frustrated by their inability to find the info
they needed. Largely, they were trying to get it on Google. I always
wondered, what was their library experience at University? Did they never
get that info-literacy-like session with a librarian?

So, if this is a problem with these folks, then we're definitely well on
the way to Peter's vision.

Thanks for the insights, Peter!

M Ryan Hess
Web Services Coordinator
DePaul University
JTR 120, DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, 2350 N Kenmore Ave.,
Chicago IL 60614
office: 773-325-7829 | cell:  650-224-7279 |  fax: 773-325-2297  |
mhess8 at depaul.edu <https://outlook.depaul.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>