National library website usability study

Jamie Stroble jrstrobl at UNCG.EDU
Fri Jun 7 16:57:55 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted that our national study on the usability of academic and public library websites has been recently accepted for publication in ALA's Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ) and the article will be coming out soon; hopefully it will prove useful in managing your library website.

There is also the link to a spreadsheet of our national findings here: http://librarywebsites.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/full-data-set.xlsx

The next step in the project is to get input directly from library patrons about both their information needs, how they use your current website, and their general thoughts on its current usability and opportunities for improvement.

Similar to our previous study we are reaching out to public and academic libraries across the country and would like to invite your library to participate.

We will send each participating library a link to an online survey to forward out to their patron email list and post on their website. It is our goal for this project to provide valuable information on the website information needs of library patrons across the country. The results can serve as a national aggregate view of the needs of patrons.

We will also provide you with your patron-specific data in comparison with the national aggregate data.

If you are interested in participating, please complete this brief form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-BH-0gOtjzUqwSGjPLL91VhP2HXgP-m_mdinsEyAPlU/viewform

We will send you a followup email with the survey link to send to your library patrons in the next month.

Sincerely,

Dr. Anthony Chow
Melissa Kammerer
Jamie Stroble

Library and Information Studies Department
University of North Carolina - Greensboro
1300 Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27403
http://lis.uncg.edu/