Public Photocopier

William Helman whelman at UBALT.EDU
Tue Jul 30 15:10:21 EDT 2013

To chime in, a little late, we've replaced our two public copiers (with
their headache inducing payment systems) with 3 kiosk scanners from the
folks at DLSG <http://www.dlsg.net/kic.html>. Specifically we got ones in
their KIC BookEdge <http://www.dlsg.net/kic-bookedge.html> line and, like
the Scannx ones Leo mentioned, they're easy to use, assemble and they are
relatively affordable. They do a pretty decent job of OCR and can output
via email/USB/print/ftp (depending on your choices) in a variety of formats
- including the regular .pdf, .tff, and .jpg as well as mp3.

My previous library, architecture and urban planning focused, had a KIC
BookEye (a higher end top-down kiosk scanner from the same company), which
was also well loved and featured the same easy to UI.

  -Bill Helman

Integrated Digital Services Librarian. The University of Baltimore,
Langsdale Library
whelman at ubalt.edu | 410-837-4209 | http://whelman.com |
@thinkpol<http://twitter.com/thinkpol>

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Leo Robert Klein <leo at leoklein.com> wrote:

> ++1 for Scannx
>
> I was visiting the library of a public university out west and the line of
> students waiting to use the Scannx scanners was impressive.  I asked one of
> the students what she thought of the unit and her response was 'pretty
> easy'.
>
> Useful characteristics included a large touch-screen monitor with big and
> understandable buttons for 'email', 'save to flash drive' and yes, even
> 'print'.  The system seemed well built to handle what we otherwise might
> consider traditional photocopying.  They've gotten rid of most of their
> paper-based machines.
>
> LEO
>
> -- -------------------
> www.leoklein.com (site)
> www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)
>
> aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'
> -- ------------------------------**-
>

> On 7/19/2013 12:40 PM, Munson, Doris wrote:
>
>> Janet,
>>
>> Have you thought about replacing the photocopier with a scanner? We have
>> one in place right now that allows patrons to scan to a file, email, or
>> a printer and it’s pretty popular. The current one is four years old and
>> needs to be replaced. Newer models are much more user friendly. We’re in
>> the process of evaluating a demo from Scannx to see if it will meet our
>> needs.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Doris

> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/