creating watermarks for photos

Roy Tennant roytennant at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 18 16:13:26 EDT 2013

I'm a little surprised that so far no one is questioning the
underlying motivation. If "watermarking" means what I think it means,
then doing so basically ruins the photo for any reasonable use. Why
would a public library wish to do this? I can remember discussions of
watermarking in the 90s, but somehow I thought we were beyond that
now. I guess not.

Does the Library of Congress watermark their photos? No. Gallica? No
again. In fact, who does except commercial companies like Corbis? I've
put thousands of my images up for people to use sans watermark, and
yet I still make some sales for commercial use. I ask that online use
be credited, and many people have done that. Of course there will be a
few bad actors, but there always will be no matter what you do. I'm
having a hard time seeing the problem that is trying to be solved.
Roy