Campus Wide Wifi

Wong, Channing CWong at MARINCOUNTY.ORG
Wed Jul 17 21:24:45 EDT 2013

Oops sent this out wrong earlier.

We are looking to a system wide upgrade from G to AC as well.  There are a few new generation of cloud controlled WiFi vendors. It makes management and security much easier than traditional enterprise equipment.

These APs can isolate clients to individual networks, cap average bandwidth, provide layer 7 firewall features to block specific applications (hello BitTorrent), among other things we are taking into consideration. You can do this without knowing IOS ACLs and configuration is all done via a web interface.

You will also want to increase AP density to scale out as wifi devices will begin to proliferate. APs tend to support up to 30 and some claim 50 devices max. Users these days have maybe 2 to 3 devices and we are starting to provide staff iPads or ultra books adding to device counts.

Prices for enterprise APs from any vendors seem to be around $600 to $1000 (1x1 to 3x3 configs) with anywhere between 20% to 40% off depending on your purchasing agreements, depending on how well you can haggle, or how many people will bid on your RFP. Service contracts are separate as well.

Some vendors we are starting to look at:
Meraki (owned by Cisco now, might be easier to procure as most govt agencies have existing Cisco contracts, probably the most feature rich)
Aerohive (similar in functionality to Meraki, provides ILS integration if desired, have a lot of library contract wins in my area)
Meru (similar to above, haven't looked too deep here yet)
Ubiquiti (similar to above, much cheaper list prices, haven't looked too deep here yet either)

If you don't have a huge budget look atopen-mesh.com<http://open-mesh.com/> as they are about 15% the cost to purchase of others.  They are run by the guy who helped write some of the original Meraki software when they were more open source than corporate. Only problem they are nowhere as feature rich.

Good luck on your upgrade!

Sent from my iPad