Campus Wide Wifi

Chadwick, John, DCA john.chadwick at STATE.NM.US
Wed Jul 17 20:26:59 EDT 2013

I have concur with Tim. Cisco is the best way to go for a campus environment.

John Chadwick

John.Chadwick at state.nm.us
ChadwickJC at ci.anchorage.ak.us (after August 5)

From: Web technologies in libraries [WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] on behalf of Tim DeYoung [Tim at SOUTHHOLLANDLIBRARY.ORG]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:45 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Campus Wide Wifi

We also use a SonicWall to route a cable internet connection.

For Wi-Fi equipment, we use a Cisco wireless controller and 6 Cisco access points with external antennas.
Access points are powered by a Cisco Power-over-Ethernet switch.
This comfortably covers our 30,000 sq ft building and our parking lots on either side.
We have 2 levels, so there are 3 access points upstairs, and 3 access points downstairs.
We also run a second, secured wireless network with this equipment for staff, which accesses our network.

You may want to consider using the SonicWall to manage bandwidth, if you don’t already.
For example, you can give the Wi-Fi 50% of your bandwidth, and your wired network the other 50% (or any percentages you choose).

Feel free to contact me off list for more specific details if desired.

[SHPL2010-01color2-EmailSig]

Tim DeYoung | Technology Coordinator
16250 Wausau Avenue  |  South Holland, Illinois 60473
Phone:  708-331-5262  x202  |  Fax:  708-331-6557
www.southhollandlibrary.org<http://www.southholland.org/>