Campus Wide Wifi

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at ANAHEIM.NET
Wed Jul 17 18:18:35 EDT 2013

We have some 802.11ac hardware on order and we hope that it will have greater distance than 802.11g and 802.11n hardware we currently use.

Thomas Edelblute
Public Access Systems Coordinator
Anaheim Public Library

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Trista Smith
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:07 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Campus Wide Wifi

Good afternoon,

Our library has been limping by with a pretty standard router for our wireless. We use a sonicwall to route our cable internet through (30 mbps download) and then a Belkin router and a repeater on the back end of the library. We have  pretty small building, but there is a park on the side of our building. We would like to provide wifi for our building and the park. Currently, the signal reaches the park but is very weak and our wireless is slow and usually overloaded.

Does anyone have a configuration of hardware/software that allows their wireless to cover a significant area (like a city block) and allows for many users without compromising bandwidth? I've done some research and there seems to be a lot of ways to go about this, but I'd love to hear about solutions that have worked well.

Thanks!
Trista Smith
Director
Bitterroot Public Library

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-07-17

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.